You might be scratching your head as you read my latest blog title. What do sea turtles and writing in your journal have in common? Let me explain.
This past week Jeff and I attended a few turtle nest hatchling counts. The turtle teams here locally find nests that have hatched then dig into the sand to count how many turtles hopefully made their way to the ocean water. These counts are important for sea turtle research.
We didn’t actually get to see all the baby turtles come out at once (which is called a “boil”) but we were able to watch as the volunteers did their thing, digging through the sand and checking the nests. At two of the nests we were lucky to witness the volunteers save some baby hatchlings who weren’t able to make it out with their brothers and sisters. The other people with us formed two lines heading toward the sea to give the feisty little turtles a runway. They had to be steered along the way but they finally found the water and hopefully off for a nice swim to the Sargasso Sea.
I feel incredibly lucky that we live close to the beach and can watch nature like this in action. Even here in the yard surrounding our home we watch deer, fox, raccoon, bobcats, hawks, owls, and alligators as they forage for food, lay down to rest or even play.
So this week’s journal prompts are about nature where you live or maybe some special place you’ve been.
- What is your favorite nature spot?
- What is your favorite animal you hope to see out in the wild?
- Do you like to spend time outdoors or do you prefer to watch nature from a window in the comfort of your home?
- When it comes to weather, do you prefer sunny weather or a good old thunderstorm?
- Do you prefer the mountains or the ocean?
- Do you have a favorite memory about being out in nature?
- Would you ever consider living “off the grid”?
I love these questions – another category that has so much potential to write about! I love being out in nature but in all honesty I love my air conditioner/heater too! I’m blessed to have both.