Ok, I know you might be getting tired of me getting on my soapbox about self-care but it’s because I’m talking to myself! My hope is that you can benefit from what I’m learning and use this information to help yourself.
I think in this society we put our self-care on the back burner. We have a tendency to take care of everyone else before ourselves. Ladies (and men too) – you HAVE TO TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF FIRST! I used all caps to stress this point not only to you but also as a reminder for myself.
I had another doctor checkup today and the topic of self-care came up yet again. It is so important and I’ve known this for a long time but I still have a tendency to put myself last. As you know I’m in the process of making myself a priority this year but in all honesty – it’s a struggle. I’ve always wanted to make sure everyone else was happy before me and that’s just not going to work now.
It’s hard for me because it feels selfish. I’ve talked about this on previous blog posts so I won’t rehash it again but SELFISH IS NOT A BAD WORD! Once again, I used those caps to make sure I see that statement as much as you do.
So here are 5 simple ways to practice self-care that are easy to get you started on this path of putting yourself first on your list.
1. Drink water. Yes, something so simple can make a huge impact on our lives. We need good hydration everyday so make sure to grab that water bottle first thing in the morning and drink half your body weight in ounces every day.
2. Every day write, in a journal, five things you accomplished or brought you joy that day. Focusing on the good instead of the bad helps you mentally more that you can imagine.
3. Move every day. Get that exercise in each day but also make sure to pick something you enjoy doing. For me, I love to dance. Put on some music and I’m grooving all over the house. Before I know it, I’ve usually done more than my share of exercising for the day and it was fun!
4. Get sleep. In this digital age of always be in touch with everything and everyone, we need sleep so our bodies can rejuvenate. Turn off the electronics. Make sure your bedroom temperature is cool and the lights are off. Even weighted blankets can help you get your zzzz’s. For more info look up “sleep hygiene”.
5. Get connected to others – IN PERSON! Social media gives us the illusion that we are connected to people but a post on Facebook or Instagram isn’t the same as having dinner with family and friends. Make time to get together with others, face to face, and put away the electronic devices.
These are only 5 ideas and there are so many more I could share. But if you can start with these few ideas and make them a habit, then you can add other items to your self-care plan.
Remember: you are special and there is only one of you. Take care of yourself so you can share your gifts and talents to the world.